Happy Monday! It’s been a busy week here and I feel like I spent the whole week juggling and somehow I managed not to drop the ball. That’s right, I had a very good week writing wise. Other things were good too. And because I want to continue the momentum, I decided to write a weekly feature called Project: Novel.
The main reason I was so busy writing this week was because I’ve made the decision to switch gears a bit by changing my finished manuscript from a romantic suspense to a suspense (there will be a romantic thread but it’s not going to be 50% of the story). This means a significant amount of work, scenes to be added, scenes to be deleted, scenes to be re-written. I didn’t make this decision easily, I’ve been wrestling with it for a while. Even with all the work that it will require I feel that I’ve made the right decision.
Last week I have taken a stack of index cards and identified each scene that I’ve written, brainstormed new scenes and made notes of new twists and turns with snippet of dialogue. Yes, those voices were speaking to me this week. (Since this is a writer’s blog I can say that without fear of being committed). I have started to pull together a comprehensive outline using those index cards and then I will be able to see where I need to add or tweak. Which is my goal for this coming week and then rewrite the first three scenes to reflect those changes.
By breaking down these huge tasks into smaller pieces and assigning a reasonable time frame I don’t feel overwhelmed, I feel very excited about the novel and about my main character, Cassie.
My plan is to have weekly updates until the manuscript is completely rewritten. This will hold me accountable. And please feel free to share your weekly updates also.
Have a great week!